Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Recipe: Millionaire's Shortbread (Nigella Lawson)

Millionaire's shortbread, also known as caramel shortbread is a classic British treat consisting of three delicious layers- the buttery shortbread, luscious caramel and a chocolate topping. Have you ever tried this before? In the UK, you can easily get this in bakeries or even supermarkets - one of our favorite ones are from Thorntons. Nowadays, you can get some cool variations such as salted caramel layer or white chocolate topping. The name millionaire's come from the fact that this is a very "rich" treat.

Millionaire's shortbread


Hubby's favorite sweet treat - got this on our last trip to the UK

This month, I have been quite busy with my egg recipes for Little Thumbs Up, so imagine my delight when Hubby-and-daughter team made us millionaire's shortbread one afternoon. Double bonus for me, I get to enjoy this fantastic treat and so happened he picked Nigella's recipe so I get to post this for "Cook Like Nigella Lawson" too. So, thank you to my two darlings.

So, you start off by making and baking the shortbread. You can get your kids to help with this part. Baby C did a great job from forming a dough, to pressing it in the pan and then pricking it all over with a fork. Then, comes the caramel part which is made easy with condensed milk - this takes about 10 minutes to make and it's really easy! Finally, you melt the chocolate (any chocolate will work) and pour it on top and let it set. We did find it a little difficult to cut, because the caramel seems to melt very quickly in the hot climate.

Baby C helping out


Caramel love

These were absolutely delicious, and they were gone within 2 days. Since Hubby did such a great job making these, I'll have to convince him to make another batch soon :)

  Oh YUM!


Roxanne's Millionaire's Shortbread
Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess
Makes 24


Ingredients
For the shortbread:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup caster sugar
170g butter

For the caramel
230g butter
14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
4 tbsp golden syrup

For the chocolate layer:
12oz bittersweet chocolate

1. Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square pan or similar, and line the bottom with baking paper.

2. Put the flour and sugar into a bowl, and rub in 170g butter, clumping the dough together to form a ball. Press this sandy shortbread mixture into the pan and smooth it with either your hands or a spatula. Prick it with a fork and cook for 5 minutes, then lower the oven to 300°F/150°C, and cook for a further 30-40 minutes, until it is pale golden and no longer dough. Set aside and let it cool in the pan.




3. Melt 230g butter in a saucepan over low heat, then add the condensed milk and syrup. Whisk the mixture well until the butter is thoroughly incorporated. Heat over medium heat until it is boiling, stirring regularly. It is ready when it has thickened and has turned a light golden brown, this will take about 8-10 minutes. Pour this caramel evenly over the cooled shortbread and leave it to set.



4. Break the chocolate into pieces and melt in a bowl over a pot of simmering water or use the microwave. Pour and spread it over the fudge mixture and leave it to cool. Once set, cut the caramel shortbread into pieces. The squares can stored in the fridge to keep them firm.



Note: Kids can help with preparation of the shortbread. 


*I am submitting this to the "Cook Like a Star" event (Nigella Lawson) event hosted by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours and Anuja from Simple Baking. You can link at any one of the host's page.

*This recipe was featured on Fabulous Food Blog Recipes FB page on 29 Aug 2013.

18 comments:

  1. Can I replace one of the layer with peanut butter? hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yen,
    Your hubby and daughter did a great job! The shortbread looks wonderful! The layer of caramel and chocolate does sound delicious with the buttery crust!
    Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks soooo good. I envy u sumo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice, can sit back like a millionairess and enjoy the 'richness' .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this especially the caramel sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious and so satisfying! It is so nice to have the little ones help too and make delicious memories. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I think we call these caramel slices! I wonder if they're the same? I've never made them but they are SO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yet to try making Scottish shortbread... I prefer them plain - rich buttery fragrance, no need for anything topping or coating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Yen,

    I wish that eating these shortbread can make me millionaire!!! - LOL! Dreaming... at least I can imagine that I would have my "millionaire moments" enjoying slices of these treats... The oozing caramel looks extremely yum!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! This millionaires shortbread makes me drooling. I like your little helper :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yen, I am bookmarking this recipe! I was quiet tickled that Vimitha called you sumo. Hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
  12. gosh, this is the one for me! love caramel, love shortbread & love chocolate :D baby c looks like she's concentrating very intensely on her work! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the recipe you called for 17og butter in the shortbread and 23og butter in the Caramel. I don't know what og is, assuming not ounces as other parts of the recipe called for oz. Is this a British measurement of some type, can we use American measurements? Thanks Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello it is 170 grams and 230 grams respectively. I found it difficult to measure butter in tablespoons (as per original recipe) so I converted it. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  14. I LOVE this treat but I've never make it before. It has all my weakness in a cookie. Buttery base, layers of caramel & chocolate... YUMMY! Wish I can have a huge slice now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got this recipe of Nigella's as well but haven't gotten around on making it yet :P Your shortbread looks sinful and drool-worthy !

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...