Friday, May 25, 2012

I baked: Coconut macaroons (using egg whites)

Bear-y bear-y nice..


Macaroons and macarons are not the same thing. Coconut macaroons is made with dessicated coconut, and is relatively simple to make. I've made coconut macaroons once (recipe here) and it was a huge hit with the family. The last time, I made the coconut macaroons using sweetened condensed milk, but this time, I used egg whites as apparently it yields softer and more luxurious macaroons.

Because it was such a long time since I made the last batch, I can't really say which is better tasting - but this one sure was good as we finished about 120 mini balls within 24 hours. My next project now is to try it with freshly grated coconut (since this is easily available to us in Malaysia) and see if the macaroons taste even better.

I shaped our coconut macaroons using a small scoop (milk powder scoop), and it took roughly 8 minutes to bake in the oven. You have to keep a close eye as different sizes and different ovens or it will brown too much and become too solid/hard/burnt. I would really advise you not to eat it immediately after baking as well, as it tends to taste a little dry. It needs to absorb some moisture (leave for at least 12 hours, but optimal time is at least 24 hours) so that it's slightly chewy on the inside.

Coconut macaroons (using egg whites)
Makes approx. 120 mini ones

Ingredients
3 medium egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
100g caster sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g plain flour
225g unsweetened dessicated coconut

1. Preheat the oven to 170C. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment and grease lightly. Depending on size of your macaroons, you may need to bake 2 rounds.

2. Place flour, salt and coconut in a bowl and mix well.

3. In another mixing bowl, whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar using an electric whisk until they form soft peaks. Add the sugar and whip until you have a glossy meringue-like mixture. Stir in the vanilla extract.

4. Add the dry ingredients into the meringue and combine. Shape into small balls and place 1 inch (2.5cm) apart on the sheets. Make sure you compact the balls.








5. Bake for 8 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool on a wire rack. Keep in a container for 24 hours before consuming. Pop in your mouth :)



Full set of photos can be viewed here. 

*Btw I just made some macaroons today using freshly grated coconut, and they're THE BEST! Will tweak / try the recipe a few more times and then share it :)

31 comments:

  1. Wats with the karate kid bear?...hehe...

    Damn...those coconuts macs looks nice and is surely aromatic =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute mascot ma.. promote my cute macaroons :)

      Delete
  2. My mum makes awesome coconut macaroons - I love the slightly chewy texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. coconut :) i love the aromatic bits there!

    Latest: Hi, my new Galaxy S3

    ReplyDelete
  4. They remind me of those white chocolate balls that resemble ferrero rocher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know which ones you mean, but they taste nothing like them. :P

      Delete
  5. It looks like coconut mochi =) yummy~

    ReplyDelete
  6. pretty macaroons! and yes.. ppl always think macaron and macaroon are the same thing...

    dont mind trying this recipe with my son... =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a pretty fun activity. Not too messy to make.

      Delete
  7. I thought why the macaron's shape like that :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. i would love to have a bite

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo, i just realized these macaroons kinda look like local nyonya kuih. maybe sort of a distant cousin to onde-onde, even though, ya, the taste and texture would be quite different :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's the coconut coating yeah, but they taste nothing like each other.. texture and taste wise. I'm gonna try making them with fresh coconut and see if it's more moist and chewier.

      Delete
  10. I think I'd past - not really crazy about grated coconut coatings, same as in those nyonya kuihs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *pass

    P.S. Hey! I don't see me in your blogroll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry will add u today! I always forget to update my blogroll. I rmbr to visit yr blog anyway!

      Delete
  12. I want to try! :)
    I think it will taste even better with freshly grated coconut, hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made some with freshly grated coconut.. you are right, it is THE BEST! I didnt make that many today, but next time I will bring some for you and Kenny OK?

      Delete
  13. I'll be honest, my dear --- I'll rather have your macaroons over store-bought macarons any day! Looks soooooo GOOD! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Kenny! I can't make macarons (not smart enough) so I console myself with the fact that I can make macaroons LOL!

      Delete
  14. Did you just replace with fresh coconut or did you have to make other changes to the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, there are some slight differences if using fresh coconut. I have typed out the recipe, will try and post this week.

      Delete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...