Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ramadan Bazaar 2011 @ Bandar Tun Hussein Onn, Cheras, Selangor

A hot Monday evening, but it is better hot than thundery and rainy for our Bazaar Night. This week, we paid a visit to the Ramadan Bazaar in Bandar Tun Hussein Onn. The bazaar was bustling by 4.30pm with most stalls set up.I noticed that there were more stalls this year, some old some new, offering a variety of mouthwatering food such as the mee goreng, kuay teow goreng, murtabak, ayam percik, ayam dara, putu piring, cucur udang, satay, ikan bakar, sup gearbox (bull's bone marrow soup) and satay celup. Even yong tau foo makes an appearance here. It definitely pays to be early since the food has just been freshly cooked hence still warm by the time we got home.


Something's cooking..

Smoking hot, baby..


Fish cooked in various styles.

Curry chicken

Green chillies stuffed with fish paste (yong liew)

Satay celup

Satay ready to be grilled

I was torn when it came to choosing what to eat. So many things, so little tummy space. Should I go for Laksa Johor, Laksa Penang, assam laksa, char koay teow, mee bandung, or soto? The assam laksa prevailed. I love that they were so generous with the shredded fish hence the soup was thick and sourish. Mmmm yum!

Mee goreng


Char koay teow


My bowl of assam laksa.. delicious! (RM3)


"Nak ayam percik atau ayam dara, ah moi?" the lady asked me. I was confused, since they both looked the same to me. I just picked the nicest looking drumstick (RM5.50) from the ayam dara side. After a little research on the internet, I think I found the answer (correct me if I'm wrong), ayam dara is spring chicken so the meat should be more tender.



Tender and moist ayam dara


One thing I would definitely recommend anyone visiting this Bazaar to try is the cucur udang (RM1 each). I fell in love with it last year and it's still excellent this time around. Crispy, crunchy, and not too oily, it was lovely eaten with the kuah kacang or sweet chilli sauce.



There are various stalls selling dadih, a dessert similar to jelly. Colorful and definitely pleasing to the eye. Also, there are many stalls selling kuih muih, I just grabbed some from one of the stalls next to the murtabak stall while waiting for the murtabak man to pack one up for us. The selection of kuih we got were good, especially the onde-onde (glutinous balls filled with gula melaka and rolled in fresh grated coconut) and kuih koci.


Murtabak stall

Murtabak daging (RM3)

Colorful dadih

Kuih muih


Karipap

Putu Piring


Different hues of green.. jelly, kuih koci, kuih ketayap and onde-onde.


Lovely kuih koci

Colorful drinks

There is plenty of parking nearby since you can park at Carrefour Bandar Tun Hussein Onn and walk over to the adjacent car park where this bazaar is held. This bazaar will be available until 28 August 2011.

Most stalls operate from 4pm to 8pm.

Full set of photos available here.

Location: Ramadan Bazaar, Bandar Tun Hussein Onn, Town Park 1 Bandar Tun Hussein Onn, 43200 Cheras, Selangor Darul Ehsan. (carpark beside Carrefour Bandar Tun Hussein Onn)

15 comments:

  1. I think you're right about the ayam dara thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking at your photo, i just realized that kuih koci is kinda like malaysia's version of mochi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. been to this bazaar two years ago, It was good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! more and more varieties at the Pasar Ramadhan, it's been so long since I last step into a Pasar Ramadhan in Malaysia. LOL Must go there one of these days before Raya starts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have not gone to the bazaar near my house yet.. maybe I am used to seeing these food in my office canteen.. hahaha.. anyway, hope to go there one day... lazy to cook dinner and my girl eats very little..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous shots darling. Surest way to purge a diet.. walk the ramadan bazaar. Mwuahaha.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean: I do prefer mochi over kuih koci though, how about you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike: Yeah they're getting more and more creative these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. reanaclaire: Haha lucky you. We dont get to eat Malay food often, so Ramadan bazaars are fun for us to visit and sample different things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ciki: Photo credits to my Hubby who was in charge of the camera that evening. Yeah tell me abt it... I cant help myself from buying stuff when visiting a bazaar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Small Kucing: Been to any others this yr?

    ReplyDelete
  12. baby sumo: yep, i prefer mochi, because kuih kochi can often be too greasy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are not the same as our yong tau foo though. The Kelantanese call them solok lada, if I am not mistaken. Using ikan parang stuffed into the green chillies. Same concept, but eaten with nasi kerabu/dagang.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i hv just tested the best nasi tomato in penang last weekend...very goood...also, the kelantan's kuih "akok"...i guess u couldn't find it in kl..

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...